Friday, October 28, 2011

2011 Jaguar XKR Convertible

I really love the way Jaguar products drive. I really hate the touch-screen infotainment system and pretty much any other electrical item on the car. The problem is with so much traffic clogging up the roads I'm forced to drive most days, I end up spending more time fiddling with the stereo than I do really driving. So I walk away less than thrilled.
The massively powerful 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 in the XKR is one that I would be happy to experience in any vehicle at any time. There's gobs of torque, a nearly perfect exhaust note, and it revs quickly. The six-speed automatic does a nice job of sorting out the power delivery for a grand touring car like the XK.

The weak link in this car is the chassis, which shows its age over bumps if more than half of the engine's power is being delivered. Jaguar is previewing the new XK at the Frankfurt Motor Show, so this is likely one of my last encounters with this generation XK. Hopefully the next XK will be much more reliable, have an easier-to-use infotainment system, and will retain all of this car's fun-to-drive characteristics. It just needs a bit more structural rigidity to handle the engine's power and it would be perfect for the class.

Phil Floraday, Senior Web Editor

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/1110_2011_jaguar_xkr_convertible/viewall.html#ixzz1c621gGjA